Monday 1 August 2011

A week's hiatus- Back with 'Horrible Bosses'

I was very much looking forward to the release of 'Horrible Bosses' which was released in Greece in very quick succession to its UK release (yay). So I guess I was preparing myself for some wild laughs having watched the trailer a few times prior. Now, the realisation I have come to is that perhaps that was the wrong move. Not only do most of the jokes run out if you've watched the trailer a few times over, but also there is always a chance that the trailer features the jokes with the biggest punch, leaving the others to appear a little slow, and not as hilarious.

With the best of the jokes being exhausted and pretty much dead to me (yes I know its self inflicted!) I struggled to appreciate the rest of the film. So, is it the case that trailers should only ever be watched once or twice prior to a viewing, or perhaps should there be less of a reliance on them to understand what a film is about? It might be that perhaps comedy film trailers give too much away; they are always less open-ended than perhaps thrillers, sci-fis, and horror, and there isn't as much flexibility to leave a bit of mystery there for the viewer. Obviously the trailer is there to showcase the very best in a film; but in comedies, it seems to backfire a lot of the times.

I digress. So, about the film! There were at least some surprises there. Perfect example being the character played by Jennifer Aniston, who turns out so much dirtier than anyone can imagine, as a perverted nympho dentist. The storyline reads that her employee, played by the lovable and very high-pitched Charlie Day, has a criminal record for going number 1 on a children's playground after hours (it was dark!!). Hence his reluctance to report his otherwise very liable boss, for sexual harrassment. This was a pretty funny detail in the storyline.

Nevertheless, I laughed at parts that were not intended to actually pack the biggest punches. For instance, as the characters are plotting the death of Nick Hendrick's (Jason Bateman) boss in the man's own house, a caniving feline is constantly jumping out at the wrong moments, and sneakily following the culprits wherever they go. Now, a lot of people may not even notice the humour in this, but I did, and this actually caused me to laugh out loud! Well, that and the effect cocaine dust has on two of the characters, who subsequently are restless baffoons.

All in all, I appreciated the intentions of every joke, and actually thought the writing was pretty funny; however, my expectations seemed to outweigh the actual result. So, the question remains, can comedies afford to reveal as much as they do on trailers?

No comments:

Post a Comment