Thursday 11 August 2011

The Space-man

This past Tuesday night, my Londoner friends and I decided to become culture-savvy, and went to watch Sam Mendes' 'Richard III' at The Old Vic. Having waited for this for a while, I was beyond excited to A. see a hollywood actor (KEVIN SPACEY!) on stage, and B. witness Sam Mende's direction. Yes, I admit both a little bit shallow. Especially since the whole play was brilliant. I can't put it down to one thing, but I'd most definetely say that Kevin Spacey put his heart and soul into the very physically draining role that is Richard III; in addition to this, the whole ensemble was fantastic, and not one of the actors let the production down.

Alongside Spacey, who received a standing ovation from many, two other actors really stood out; they were the actors playing the roles of Clarence and Buckingham, one being an enemy of Richard's, and the other being his loyal servant, who eventually became one of his victims, as did everyone else surrounding him.

But anyway back to Spacey- seeing him live on stage, I really have come to admire him. He not only brought a comical twist to quite a pathetic and miserable character, but also was terrifying when the part called for it. In his hollywood movies, we've seen him portray the character of psycho killer, bully, victim of a horrid mid life crisis; it is not that easy to see where his real passion lies, whether in theatre or major motion pictures, but he is incredibly talented at both, showing his range and versatility. Having started his acting career on stage, it seems he is a natural. I am just disappointed at not seeing him leave the exit, just so I would A. face my eternal fear of talking to celebrities, B. talk to someone I admire and who is worthy of every compliment I have in store for him!

The creepy, mentally unstable, and sadistic parts he plays suit him so well. In this way, Richard III was a brilliant match for Spacey, and a great avenue for Mendes to show his amazing skills and talent. Transferring great directing skills unto stage is a great risk to begin with, but Mendes proves that for him, it is effortless!

Some great clips of Spacey:




No comments:

Post a Comment